Monday, May 08, 2006

whts Cookin?

There are 2 things which i never dreamt i will be ever able to do in my life. The first one is Dancing and the other one is cooking. All my frens have learned to cook in college (Hostel) however i preferred to sleep empty stomach rather than trying my hand at cooking (yea yea i knew to make Maggi but thts not what i count in cooking). Last month while i was in Delhi, i danced ( yea danced like hell ) after all it was my cousins' marriage. After coming back to Blore i thought .. What the heck? i did the Dance, i cook too!... with that feeling i had hit the kitchen floor a fortnight ago and thought of making "Poha". I got all the ingredients and veges cut i heated some oil and started putting the ingredients as instructed by my Mom over phone earlier in the mrng. All Well .. till now, then disaster struck...i had to add a tinge of Dhaniya Powder...so i looked over the shelf and to my amazement there were three little jars filled with identical greenish-brown powder....i opened all three of them and poked my nose over each one of them to make out which is Dhaniya Powder, in doing so i got more confused and went by my instincts (meanwhile the other ingredients were on gas and were burning.. lol) chose one and added to the pan. Satisfied that nthing is spoiled and the Poha is done ...i took it off the flame and transferred to a plate....First bite and i realized that i have added Jeera Powder instead of Dhaniya Powder.. haha .. and yes i had Jeera Poha on that "eventful" Sunday. However last week i had made Chicken Curry ...well not all by myself i called my fren over and man it was awesome to taste :)

8 comments:

PNA said...

as my mother says...
u burn and then u learn
u put an ingredient and make a differnt dish ...there might be others who have ur mistake as a delicacy else where ...

happy cooking!!!
Ash

Abhinav said...

Very well said u burn and then u learn that gave me confidence
Thanx for all the support Ash

killer is i said...

hahaha ... that was funny incident ...
u cud have said .. "EUREKA" after eating Jeera Poha ... :p.
And same thing is soo true abut me too, i m a bad bad dancer and worst cook :p , i HATE to cook or hate to do any work coz i m lazy ;))

Freeze said...

hehehe.. u know, maggi also counts as cooking. for me it is cooking :P

but u forgot to mention how yr jeera poha tasted! I'm sure it was edible. and thats what counts. :P hehe

greensatya said...

Next time do this :-

1. Open the lid and smell it. You will get to know dhaniya and jeera. If they both smell alike then your masala is old and should not be used.

2.Dhaniya is bit greenish and jeera powder is bit brownish.

3.There is no any third thing which can closely match.

Abhinav said...

kiiler: :)

freeze: Jeera Poha tasted "Yummmmmmmmm" the only thing is i do not want to eat it again ever

satya: Thanx for the great tip Chef ;)

bablu said...

No pain no gain. For cooking you wont learn anything unless you learn to experiment and try out different things. Only thing you have to find hungry stomachs to experiment.

Abhinav said...

bablu: well said