Friday, March 10, 2006

Saza-e-Kalapani

Passing time on this dull Friday Afternoon i came across this article which prompted me to write this post. Post abt Kalapani as they all call it -- the worst jail term anybody cud get in pre-independence era. I also got Kalapani the only difference being it was post-independence, but hell what does a 16 year guy knows abt that. i was 16 years old when i showed my dis-interest in my fathers' business and had no clear goals in life what i wanted to be. i didn't knew that casual talk with my father (while i was flying kite) on a chilly December day will become my sentence to kalapani, as it turned out to be a week later when i was told to pack my bags and head off to Port Blair to stay with my relatives. I was very upset as the words echoed in my ears....What? what wrong did i do? The reply i got in return was "ur grown enuf, u have made a decision that u do not want to do business. I have made my decision that u cannot stay here coz the atmosphere ur gng to get at home will be always business-like. So ur out in 6 mnths time". I thought my folks does not love me (well it was my father actually, my mother cried on hearing his decision). Thinking abt it now, i have become an engineer (a great achievement if u ask me) :) Port Blair is a very calm and quite place. Life there is really amazing, no tensions, no worries and awesome beaches. Looking at the picture of Cellular Jail just reminded me how grand the structure is. Moreover i am amazed by the sheer genious of the designers who designed it.....Only 3-5 guards can keep a watch on the entire premises....real genius. For those of u do not know, original cellualr jail used to have seven wings, now it has five wings the other two gave way for the biggest hospital in the Islands which provides free medical services for the local people. Then there was my favorite Corbyn's Cove beach .. ah! i just love beaches. Then u have Marina Sports Water complex..my favourite place in the whole world. There was this bench at the end of the Jetty overlooking sea and Ross Islands at a distance frm where u can see all the ships entering Port Blair Harbor. But as they say all good things come to an end and this did literally....Tsunami Dec. 2004.....i was not there though i have heard frm my frens that Marina Sports Complex was totally devastated as the other places in the Islands .... i wonder what happened to Little Andaman where i say a water fall for the first time in my life. I wonder that bench is still there, neh it is not i saw the picture of the jetty and everything was submerged. Well the restoration work is gng on and hope it is completed before i head to my second home this winter! And yea who can forget the light-and-sound programme @ Cellular Jail every evening....gosh i am missing it too much!

16 comments:

Freeze said...

oh hell yeah! being an engineer is a great achievement! but u wud have achieved so many other things, things that u dont think are great, but others think that it is...

hmmm, so a li'l of home sickness eh?

Abhinav said...

freeze: well what can a guy expect when he is 16 yrs and does not know anything except flying kites yea the craze of computer really played part in getting a comp Sc. degree....this does not mean that there is nthing great other than enginrering, there are.
neh not home sick .. i am gng home soon

Freeze said...

no, no. u got me wrong. what i meant was, u have achieved even greater things than that engg degree, but u dont know that yet. others may find it to be great.

Y said...

The reason and the scene of u r dad sending u to Port Blair sounded a bit filmy.

Abhinav said...

Freeze: i agree may be
Sher:yea it may to u as it did to me then. But then what u cud have done when u know ur only son is not interested in joining ur business and the only thing he loves in his life is to fly kites :)

Rita said...

Whoa! to me your story sounds like the story of amir Khan in DCH! Did you find love in Prt Blair? ;)

Abhinav said...

DCH???
Yea i found love for beaches and ships in Port Blair ;)

greensatya said...

Well that was good and as others said a movie plot in making. But if I were you I would go back to the business.

XVSA013 said...

cellular jail ... huh?

u say its achievement because u come from a business family?

Abhinav said...

i did not know that it sounded like a movie plot
Satya:I can always go back to business whenever i want...i do not see that for the next 10 years atleast.
mowgli: yea Cellular Jail...pay a visit smtime its amazing. I say its an achievement coz i started to belive in myself and set clear goals for myself, prio to that i had no idea what to do with my life.

Akanksha said...

i cant believ ur dad did that !.. did u go there to stay with ur relatives?
or was ur engineering college there?

Abhinav said...

yup i went to stay with my relatives...nope my college isn;t there...i am a graduate from a NIT (formerly Regional Engg. College)

bablu said...

Oh U lucky dude to be bought up in Port Blair. My friend was based there for sometime and he says it is paradise on earth.

XVSA013 said...

haha ... cool man ... the jail's design inspired you to plan ... wow ... how same thing can mean different things to different ppl ... depending on what they are looking .... :p

Abhinav said...

bablu: i wasn't brought up there i stayed there for 3 years only. True its paradise on earth.
mowgli: :)

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »